In these trying times, losing a job adds even more stress to your life. Here are some ways to get back on your feet:
- See if you can apply for unemployment through the Employment Security Department. They have a special section on COVID-19-related updates here. The process can be complicated, so if you have any problems signing up for an account, attend one of their frequent webinars or check out their step-by-step slideshow.
- Set up an account at WorkSourceWA, which will be one of the best places to find employers that are hiring right now. You can chat with them or contact them by email. The local WorkSource Spokane office has a list of immediate employment opportunities. They are working on a virtual job fair as well. Check out their job search resources, including online training.
While at home, you can use the library’s resources to improve your employment skills.
- Lynda.com offers many professionally-produced video tutorials that can improve your computer and business skills. Look under Career Development to find interviewing and networking advice, along with Learning Paths such as Finding a Job During Challenging Economic Times.
- LearningExpress Library has a Career Center with tutorials on Job Search and Workplace Skills, along with exam preparation for specific careers, such as Allied Health or Commercial Driver’s License.
- If you have more time, sign up for a six-week, instructor-led Gale Courses online class to develop your computer and business skills or learn how to start your own online or work-from-home business.