Digital lending: eBooks
Borrow books right now for your smartphone, tablet, or eReader.
OverDrive is our main supplier of downloadable eBooks. You will find a variety of fiction, nonfiction, children’s, young adult, and adult titles.
OverDrive is compatible with many devices, including Kindles, Nooks, and iPads.
You can also use OverDrive Read to access eBooks in your web browser – no additional software is required!
Tips for using OverDrive eBooks
Please ask a librarian, call the library at 444-5336, or come in and see us if you have questions.
- OverDrive has an extensive help section. Start here if you have questions about using OverDrive with your device
- This service is available to city resident cards or paid nonresident cards in good standing. If you get a new library card number – because of a lost card, for example – please contact us so we can have OverDrive change your account to the new card
- You can check out 15 titles at a time. If they can be renewed, you will get a renewal option within three days of the expiration date. See our library lending policies for more details.
- You can place holds on up to ten unavailable titles
- Titles check out for one, two, or three weeks but can be checked in early
More eBooks from the library
OverDrive is our primary source for eBooks, but we also have some additional titles available.
Please ask a librarian, call the library at 444-5336, or come in and see us if you have questions about using these services.
Our downloadable audiobook service, OneClickdigital, now offers eBooks.
- You can browse the featured eBooks. Just look for the eBook symbol under the title
- You can also search for a title, author, or keyword and then Refine Search (upper left side) and limit your format to eBook
- Sign into your account to check out and download the book or place it on hold
- You can download the OneClickDigital eBook app if you have an Android, Kindle Fire, or Apple device
- To read on a PC or another eBook reader, you will need to install Adobe Digital Editions. Adobe has an extensive help section on how to download this software and how to make it compatible with eBook readers
- Checkout is for up to 21 days. You can check out up to 15 eBooks
EbscoHost is another source of downloadable eBooks, including Cliffs Notes, computing, how-to, legal, and fiction titles. EbscoHost titles are available for any device or computer that can install Adobe Digital Editions.
- To get started, create your EbscoHost Account. Click on Sign In in the upper right corner. Create a New Account and follow the instructions to create your account
- Install Adobe Digital Editions or a supported app, such as the Bluefire Reader for Apple products. Adobe has an extensive help section on how to download this software and how to make it compatible with eBook readers
- You can borrow up to 10 titles at a time. Items check out for up to three weeks
- Ebsco eBooks cannot be renewed or returned early
- Please read the EBSCOhost help screens for more details
Gale Virtual Reference Library
Gale Virtual Reference Library includes full-text encyclopedias and other reference sources in a number of subject areas such as medicine, history, culture, and education.
- Available to city resident cards in good standing
- Read online – always available
- Search full text
- Download chapters as PDFs or as audio MP3s