Print this page
Employment: Professional Librarian I Substitute
Professional Librarian I Substitute
Various Locations - Various Hours
This position performs professional library work throughout the library system, including general reference, readers advisory, and patron assistance.
Examples of Work:
- Applies knowledge and skills acquired in the completion of graduate studies for a Master's Degree in Librarianship
- Maintains regular contact with other employees and extensive contact with the general public which requires tact, judgment and professional competence
- Assists library users in selecting, locating or using library materials
- Conducts reference interviews, answers specific informational requests, and performs on-line data base searching
- Plans, prepares, schedules and/or presents programs, activities, tours, talks or displays suitable to various age groups
- May operate own vehicle on library business
- Performs other related work as required
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of librarianship
- Knowledge of basic reference and bibliographic tools as well as reference techniques and procedures
- Knowledge of and experience with PC and automation based applications, including on-line information storage and retrieval systems
- Considerable knowledge of reader interest levels, books, authors, composers and artists, and the ability to conduct a reader's advisory interview
- Considerable knowledge of the organization and processing of library materials and the ability to instruct people in the proper use of library catalogs or indexes
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively in written and oral form; ability to project a positive image
- Ability to handle details, complete work with normal speed and accuracy, and perform under pressure of meeting deadlines
- Must be able to tactfully cope with a wide variety of people, including the occasional difficult library client
- Ability to establish and maintain effective public and working relations
Minimum Experience & Training:
- Master's degree in library science from an ALA accredited school
- Certification by Washington State Board for the Certification of Librarians (may be obtained following appointment)
- Some library experience is preferred
COMPENSATION: $18.70 per hour
SCHEDULE: As offered, includes weekend and evening hours. As the need for professional substitutes varies, a specific number of hours per week or month are not guaranteed.
Applicants must complete a Spokane Public Library application form. Application forms may be obtained from online or: Human Resources Manager, Spokane Public Library, W. 906 Main, Spokane, WA 99201. Telephone: (509) 444-5300
Interviews are scheduled as vacancies occur. Only those who are interviewed will be notified relative to the appointment.
Please inform us if you need any accommodation to apply or interview for this position.
Spokane Public Library does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, marital status, religion, age, sexual orientation, or disability in employment or the provision of services.
Equal Opportunity Employer