Print this page
Spokane Public Library has developed a new Green Spokane Collection of books and media on sustainability and environmental issues. You can browse the collection at the Downtown Library on the second floor. The collection was developed in conjunction with the Mayor's Sustainability Task Force, with funding from the Washington State Department of Commerce.
Here is one definition of sustainability from Washington State University:
- Sustainable developments are those which fulfill present and future needs while only using and not harming renewable resources and unique human-environmental systems of a site: air, water, land, energy, and human ecology and/or those of other off-site sustainable systems.
The following links provide local resources on sustainability.
- taxpayer-funded subscription database - requires city library card outside of library
- You can find general background information on sustainability by checking out books and other media in the library's new Green Spokane Collection on the Second Floor at the Downtown Library
- Encyclopedia of Environment and Society - provides issues, concepts, theories, examples, problems, and policies, with the goal of explicating an emerging way of thinking about people and nature
- Encyclopedia of Global Warming and Climate Change - explores major topics related to global warming and climate change - ranging geographically from the North Pole to the South Pole, and thematically from social effects to scientific causes
- DownToEarthNW.com - resource for the latest local and national news about conservation, sustainability efforts, organic techniques and general "Green" living, from the Spokesman Review. Some of the writers also have a radio program on KYRS, including a podcast version you can listen to any time.
- Environment Resources - links to environmental services, permits, outdoor recreation, natural resources, forestry, farming and more from Washington State
- Futurewise is a statewide public interest group working to promote healthy communities and cities while protecting farmland, forests and shorelines today and for future generations
- Go Green Directory is a local directory for green services and products, including many of the topics below, such as green building and sustainable lifestyles. This is a very large file and may take a while to download
- Green Spokane from the city's Green Team lists reports and programs, especially on governmental policy
- Sustainable Washington includes topical links from the Washington Office of Financial Management
Green Building & Energy Efficiency
- The library has many books on a sustainable lifestyle, including many in the Green Spokane collection. Here are a few sample subject keyword searches that will give good results - sustainable living, waste minimization, recycling, cooking (natural foods), organic living, and green products
- The Downtown Library has many magazines that cater to a sustainable lifestyle. Here are a few examples: Adbusters, Countryside and Small Stock Journal, E: the Environmental Magazine, GreenSource: the Magazine of Sustainable Design, MaryJanesFarm, Mother Earth Living, and Mother Earth News. Similar magazines can be found online through our magazine databases or through our Zinio online magazine service
- Encyclopedia of Food and Culture - in this database you can search for articles on organic food and sustainable agriculture
- DownToEarthNW.com's Blogs - includes local blogs on sustainable living and travel
- The Green Zone campus includes outdoor demonstration sites and indoor displays. Information points throughout the site interpret demonstrations of environmentally sustainable practices
- Spokane Neighborhood Action Program's Living Green program offers events and classes on sustainable living
- The Spokane Regional Solid Waste System has background on all the different types of recycling available in the area, including the Clean Green yard waste bins and single stream recycling
- Washington Farmer's Market Association's Directory lists local markets, including their open days and times