Did you know…
Spokane Public Library has several options for online and downloadable books you can read on your computer, smart phone, or dedicated eBook reader. Find a list of all titles by searching our catalog for the word ebook.
OverDrive is our main supplier of downloadable eBooks. You will find a variety of fiction, nonfiction, children's, young adult, and adult titles.
- OverDrive is compatible with many devices, including Kindles, Nooks, and iPads
- Read OverDrive's extensive help sections to see how to use your particular device with OverDrive
- This service is available to city resident cards or paid nonresident cards in good standing. If you get a new library card number - because of a lost card, for example - please contact us so we can have OverDrive change your account to the new card
- Two titles can be checked out at a time and cannot be renewed. See our library lending policies for more details
- Titles check out for one, two, or three weeks but can be checked in earlier through your reading software - Adobe Digital Editions or Amazon. However, if too many titles are checked in during that time period, you may be blocked from downloading for a while.
- You can place holds on unavailable titles
Please Ask a Librarian or call the library at 444-5336 if you have questions.
EbscoHost is our secondary source of downloadable eBooks, including Cliffs Notes, computing, how-to, legal, and fiction titles. EbscoHost titles are available for Nook, iPad and other readers, but not Kindle.
- To get started, create your EbscoHost Account. Click on "Sign In" in the upper right corner. Look for the "Create a New Account" link on the right side and follow the instructions to create your account
- Install Adobe Digital Editions or a supported app, such as the Bluefire Reader for Apple products. Adobe has an extensive help section on how to download this software and how to make it compatible with eBook readers
- Borrow up to 5 titles at a time
- Items are available for one, two, or three weeks.
- Once you check out 5 items, you will NOT be able to check them in; you must wait until one expires before being able to check out another
- Once the checkout period expires, you will no longer have access to the downloaded eBooks. Just check them out and download them again to continue reading
Please read the EBSCOhost help screens for more details, or Ask a Librarian or call 444-5336 if you have questions.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
Gale Virtual Reference Library includes full-text encyclopedias and other reference sources in a number of subject areas such as medicine, history, culture, and education.
- Available to city resident cards in good standing
- Read online - always available
- Search full text
- Download chapters as PDFs or as audio MP3s
Please read the Gale Help Guide for more details, or Ask a Librarian or call 444-5336 if you have questions.