Library Employment: Library Custodian I Substitute
This is an on-call position, regular work hours are not guaranteed.
Performs manual work, including general custodial duties and routine messenger services.
Example of Work:
- Performs general custodial work inside and outside library facilities, e.g., floor and building care, painting, plastering, and the day-to-day custodial care or cleanup
- Sweeps walks and removes snow and leaves
- Mows lawns, trims shrubbery, and performs general yard maintenance
- Runs errands
- Empties outside book drops
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs and waxes floors; vacuums carpeting, cleans stairs
- Washes walls, inside windows and woodwork
- Cleans rest rooms and replenishes supplies
- Dusts, polishes, arranges and moves furniture and equipment, cleans and polishes fixtures
- Removes rubbish and waste paper
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Some knowledge of, or the ability to learn, public building cleaning practices, supplies and equipment, and the ability to apply, operate, and use them economically, efficiently and safely
- Ability to use power equipment, buffers, carpet cleaners, lawn mowers, etc.
- Ability to plan and organize assigned duties and work effectively without immediate supervision
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people inside and outside the library
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, to write legibly, and to communicate effectively
- Ability to assume responsibility as delegated
- Ability to maintain a presentable appearance
- Ability to ascend or descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding and ramps; and to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl
- Ability to seize, hold, grasp, turn, or otherwise work with the hands
- Ability to lift objects of up to 60 pounds, push and pull heavy objects of up to 250 pounds with the use of trucks, carts or dollies, and regularly lift and carry up to 40 pounds
Minimum Experience & Training:
- Experience covering a wide range of janitorial duties, and proficiency in the use of janitorial supplies, is desirable.
- Must have, or be able to obtain, a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to document eligibility for employment on U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Form I-9 prior to beginning employment.
REPORTS TO: Manager, Facilities and Maintenance
SCHEDULE: This is an on-call position. Regular work is not guaranteed, hours will be offered on an as-needed basis. The department is staffed from 7:00 a.m. to 12:30 a.m., six days per week.
COMPENSATION: $11.84 per hour
This is an on-going posting. In order to be considered an applicant must complete and file a Spokane Public Library application form. All current applications (received within six months) will be reviewed when substitute opportunities become available. Application forms may be obtained from online or: Human Resources Manager, Spokane Public Library, 906 W. Main, Spokane, WA 99201; Phone (509) 444-5300.
All current applications on file will be reviewed as substitute opportunities become available, those whose qualifications best match the job requirements will be contacted to schedule an interview. Only those candidates who are interviewed will be notified regarding their status.
PLEASE INFORM US IF YOU NEED ANY ACCOMMODATION TO APPLY OR INTERVIEW FOR THIS POSITION.
SPOKANE PUBLIC LIBRARY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, RELIGION, AGE OR HANDICAPPED STATUS IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.