Spokane’s building boom of the earliest twentieth century coincided with the golden age of the postcard, and many of Spokane’s majestic homes and commercial buildings appeared on postcards promoting the city, some of which are no longer around.
Take a peek at some of these old Spokane postcards featuring buildings that have since been demolished.
Located on the north side of Trent (now Spokane Falls Boulevard) and Howard, Spokane’s first city hall was designed by Willis A. Ritchie and built in 1894. This grand, ornamental structure was demolished in 1910 to clear the way for the Milwaukee Railroad and Union Depot.
The Washington Water Power Company Building was located at 825 W. Trent Avenue (now Spokane Falls Boulevard). In 1958, W.W.P. gifted the building to the Spokane School District for their offices. It burned down in a fire in 1979.
Christian Science Church, Spokane, Wash. This church was located at 4th and Post and designed by Kirtland. K. Cutter and built in 1904. It was demolished to make room for the Interstate in 1966.
This majestic home at 34 West 8th Avenue was built in 1912 for Louis Davenport, who only lived in it for four months before selling it to Richard Porter. It was razed in 1968 for the Sacred Heart Hospital.