Մածունով քուֆթէ (Yogurt with Meatball)
This week we’re traveling to Armenia for a unique splash of flavor. Chef Ricky is joined by special guest Mirak, Owner of Skewers Food Truck, who introduces a special spice not only dear to the presenter’s heart, but is also a must-have for every intrepid cook!
- 1 lb ground beef (80-93% lean)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fine bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper (or red pepper)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 32 ounces plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 egg
- 14 1/2 ounce chicken broth
- Meatballs: Mix together salt, beef, bulgar, onion, red pepper, black pepper, one egg. Dip hands in cold periodically as you mix and squeeze to make sure meat and bulgur is well incorporated. Dip hands in cold water as you roll into balls.
- Optional: Cut extra butter into small cubes and freeze for 10-15 minutes. Push butter into meatball and reform meatballs.
- Broth: Crack egg in yogurt and mix well with mint. Heat up broth on medium heat along with 2 cups water, when the broth is hot (but not boiling) add yogurt mix and keep stirring so soup will not curdle allow broth to get hot again (but not boiling) Add butter and stir until melted. Allow broth to get hot again (never allow the broth to reach a boil).
- Finish: Once broth is nearly boiling add meatballs and continue heating on medium for ten minutes to cook meatballs.
- Garnish: Top each bowl of soup with dry mint and Aleppo pepper (depending on desired heat).
- Optional: Top with Aleppo pepper infused butter (melt butter in pan, turn off heat and add Aleppo better and let it settle together for 2 minutes)
Cook along with Mirak in the video below!