Friends of the Spokane Public Library
An all-volunteer group dedicated to funding special projects for the library.
We collect donated books, which we sell at annual book sales and at our book store at the Downtown Library. Some of us work the sales as volunteers; others choose to support the Friends financially with paid memberships. All the money we raise goes to the library, which benefits every year from the Friends’ support.
We are proud to provide the library over $40,000 in support annually.
- Support Summer Reading for kids and teens with programs and book giveaways
- Support the Spokane Is Reading program, which brings a different author to town each year
- Make special equipment purchases (recent examples include AWE Early Learning Computer Stations for young children)
- Support staff training
- And more!
We invite everyone to become a Friend of the Spokane Public Library!
Buy the Book
The Friends’ bookstore is located in the lobby of the Downtown Library.
The store is open Monday through Saturday from 12 – 4 pm.
We sell used materials at great prices:
- $1.00 hardback and trade paperback
- $.50 mass-market paperback
- Certain items priced-as-marked
Stop by and check out the selection!
Please remember the store is staffed by volunteers so hours are dependent on their availability. If you are interested in volunteering please contact the library at 444-5347.
Donate used books, CDs, or DVDs
The Friends of the Library accepts donations of used books, CDs, and DVDs in good condition.
Please note what we can and cannot accepted:
Materials NOT accepted: NO damaged materials of any kind, NO textbooks, NO magazines, NO condensed books, NO personally-recorded videos, CDs or DVDs, NO VHS cassettes or eight-track tapes. NO loose-leaf items.Donations of these items cannot be added to the library’s collection and do not sell through the Friends; they end up costing the library money since we have to discard them at our expense.
Annual book sales
The Friends of the Library support hold annual book sales in support of their fundraising efforts, typically in the spring and fall.
Mark your calendar for the FALL BOOK SALE:
The Friends of the Library Fall Book Sale is October 25 – 29 at the Downtown Library.
Friends Members Presale:
Wednesday, October 25 – 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Your membership must be current for 2017. A membership table will be present starting at 4:00 pm if you would like to join or renew your membership that evening. Memberships start at $10.
Thursday, October 26 – 10am – 5pm
Friday, October 27 – 10am – 5pm
Saturday, October 28 – 10am – 2pm – Saturday only – Fill a bag with your choice of books for only $3. We supply the bag.
The sale is held at the Downtown Library in the first floor meeting rooms and art gallery. Most items $1 or less.
Questions – call 444-5347.
Become a Friend of the Library
Contribute to the quality and success of library programs and services!
How do I become a Friend of the Library?
Pick up a membership application at one of the libraries or come to one of the book sales where you can become a member on the spot.
You can also download our membership application, and return it to us at any library location or mail it to the address provided on the application form.
- Individual memberships are $10 annually (calendar year)
- Family memberships are $15 annually (calendar year)
- Donations in greater amounts are welcome!
What are the benefits of becoming a Friend of the Library?
- Your contribution is 100% tax-deductible
- Early admission to the annual Friends of the Library book sales
- You become a vital connection between the Library and the community
- You contribute to the quality of Library programs and services
How else can I contribute?
- Through your tax-deductible monetary contribution
- Through volunteering to help out with fundraising or other special projects
Volunteer with the Friends of the Library
Support the library, make some new Friends!
If you are interested in volunteering with the Friends of the Library please use this Volunteer Application for the Friends.
Completed forms may be turned in at the book store or at the Library’s administrative offices.
Opportunities with the Friends include:
- Book Sales
- Friends of the Library Board